Friday 13 May 2011

Refitting of the Bulkhead.

Things have started to move forward over the last couple of weeks, heres the progress made to date:


The bulkhead has returned from painting, while it was off I added to it the steering column, accelerator and brake pedal. I also popped in the washer jets and waxed the inside to prevent rust.

As you will be able to tell from the coming photo's I have decided on a colour, thanks to the 2 people that voted from the right colour! Epsom Green it is! ( I did say I wouldn't listen to the vote.)

Once I found someone to give me a lift I fitted it to the Defender.



After the bulkhead was fitted I reconnected the steering link, sills, rubber grommets and clutch pedal.


I then fitted the wiper motor and assembly. I have decided to use the Td5 wider set that was already fitted to the new bulkhead.



The remaining parts of the clutch system have been fitted.


Got my new transmission tunnel cover, this type is for the R380 gearbox (which mines not), so it required some modification. First off it was cut to ensure it fitted, then screws where added to form a start for the fiberglass.



Then I extend the lip around the new opening with fiber glass. All this work seems a bit odd as I already have on the fits, but I do have a plan! Inside the cab I want to use the Exmoor Trim molded matting system, however they do not make a version for the V8 and have no plans to. So by using a trans tunnel cover for a R380 gearbox I can use the equivalent matting system! Although the matting system will need to be cut slightly to allow for the modifications I have made. I'll also need a custom gear stick gaiter! There is still a little bit of work left to do.  The end nearest the seats has a large gap where the new tunnel sits much higher than the old one. This will be filled with some sort of high density foam.



Next few tasks where fitting the internal dash skin, this needed to be cut to allow room for the Td5 wiper motor. The fuse board has been screwed into place and I've started to re thread the loom through the bulkhead.


I also glued into place the vent seals and fitted the flaps. 
Thats all for now, hopefully progress will be good over the weekend now I have now course work to hand in! (well for a few months at least.)

No comments:

Post a Comment